Friday, August 31, 2012

Books I should have read by now but haven’t yet

 
They might not have landed on Modern Library's top 100 list (though some of them have), but remain pop cultural touchstones to this day.

Over the past few years I’ve read a few of these (“The Handmaid's Tale,” “The Shining,” “Outlander,” “Love in a Cold Climate,” “I Capture the Castle”), the sort of books whose covers and titles are as familiar to me as a long-loved childhood pet.  For some reason or another, though, they’ve always fallen below my “next to read” radar, usually because I’m too busy trying to read what’s current and relevant or trudging through what someone deemed to be "the great books.”

I’ve been missing out.  I mean, as someone who loves the Arthurian legends, why did it take me so long to pick up “The Mists of Avalon”?

Now, that I’m halfway through “The Thorn Birds” (and understanding what all the fuss was about) I’m inspired to track down even more "books I should be ashamed to admit I've never read," even if they’re not current bestsellers, new releases, or the topic of water cooler discussions among my better read colleagues.

I’ll let you know what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment