Wednesday, September 28, 2011

2011: A new year, a new country


Back in 2004 I was in a bit of a rut.  I’d come back home (rather reluctantly) from graduate school lacking direction and inspiration. 

I knew I had to do something, so I made a New Year’s resolution to visit a new country every year, bought a ticket to Thailand, and took a trip that would change my life. The following years have brought me to the following countries (or territories in some cases, which I choose to count as “new to me.”) 

2005 – St. Barths, St. Martin, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, St. Kitts
2006 – China, Spain
2007 – French Polynesia
2008 – India, Singapore
2009 – Malaysia, Bermuda
2010 – Cambodia

Unfortunately 2011 has been a rough year, and it was starting to look as though I would fail to keep my ongoing resolution.  Thank goodness for a recent spate of weddings among my friends and family.  Now I can happily say my 2011 county is...
 Mexico!

And if I’m going to visit Mexico for the first time, I have to say that there’s no better reason than a wedding.  

Since celebrations of love and life are the world’s greatest unifiers.
   
Now where will 2012 lead me…?

No comments:

Post a Comment