Monday, July 25, 2011

Where it all began



I can’t remember how old I was when I first made my own little seaport.  Young enough to still have a pretty vivid imagination.  As I put each building together the town came alive and the stories of its residents grew with the completion of each miniature structure.  I called my seaport Vantage, because I envisioned it sitting high on windswept cliffs in Maine or Nova Scotia.  Somewhere appropriately stark and austere.

When I decided to participate in my first National Novel Writing Month I turned back to my little town (since packed away in the basement) and once again found inspiration in the lives that could have been lived in each of its buildings: the lighthouse, chandlery, tavern, cooperage, sail loft, and Captain’s house.  Now a few years and multiple revisions later I’m still trying to tell those stories in a way I hope my younger self would appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment